To support the Educational Opportunities for Children and Families in realizing a common mission by providing and implementing a developmentally appropriate early childhood classroom experience for children enrolled in the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP).
1. Principles of child development and Early Childhood Curriculum planning.
2. Principles of effective supervision.
3. Current best practices in early childhood development and education.
1. Observe and assess children and set individualized goals.
2. Prepare the classroom environment to meet the educational needs of each child.
3. Track each child's progress and incorporate the information into the curriculum.
4. Work cooperatively with staff members and clients from diverse cultural, socio-economic and educational backgrounds.
5. Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
6. Use the team approach to resolving problems or conflicts, planning and evaluation.
7. Demonstrate professional and effective written and verbal communication skills; receive information and feedback in an understanding manner; use good judgment.
8. Attend appropriate staff meetings and out-of-town training sessions as assigned.
Key Performance Area: Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
1. Plan and implement a curriculum that encourages the advancement of children's
physical, intellectual, and social-emotional competence.
a. Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of early childhood curriculum
b. Observe, assess and analyze children's physical and cognitive behavior.
c. Implement and track an individualized education plan for each child.
d. Make appropriate referrals for children with special needs.
2. Plan and direct a classroom program that builds and strengthens positive self-concepts
and individual strengths of children.
a. Provide positive, supportive responses to all children.
b. Incorporate mental health activities in the curriculum.
Key Performance Area: Classroom Operation and Services
1. Establish and maintain a safe and healthy learning environment.
a. Supervise and train staff on implementing principles of safe and healthy
environments for young children.
b. Assure that classroom materials and equipment stimulate exploration,
problem solving, and reflect various cultures.
c. Include activities to promote good health, nutrition and personal safety.
2. Provide positive guidance and discipline to support social-emotional development of
a. Organize and facilitate age appropriate classroom routines.
b. Establish and enforce consistent limits.
c. Provide an environment to stimulate children and encourage them to work
cooperatively in groups.
d. Encourage children to develop positive attitudes towards a variety of
ethnic, racial, and social groupings.
e. Provide guidance and support on appropriate discipline to staff and
3. Support family involvement in the program.
a. Encourage parents to volunteer in various parts of the program.
b. Demonstrate respect for diversity.
c. Seek parent input in developing the child's education plan.
d. Conduct conferences with parents on the child's progress as prescribedby the program work plan.
e. Conduct family home visits as prescribed by program work plan.
f. Work with ECEAP Teacher Assistant and Family Advocates to plan and
implement parent center meetings.
g. Attend center meetings
4. Ensure the program operates in response to performance standards, agency policies
and participant needs.
a. Evaluate the total classroom program regularly to improve quality.
5. Assist in developing and implementing a transition plan for children and families.
Key Performance Area: Supervision
1. Assign, coordinate, supervise, monitor, and evaluate the work of staff and volunteers to
assure that EOCF’s operations and services are provided and conducted in accordance
with performance standards, agency mission, vision, and values, and requirements of
grants, contracts, policies, procedures, and work plans.
2. Assist in recruiting, interviewing, selecting, orienting and training employees.
3. Develop, implement and monitor individualized staff development and training plans.
4. Complete performance appraisals as prescribed by EOCF Personnel Policies.
Key Performance Area: Communication
1. Assure continuous and timely flow of verbal and written information to and from other
staff, supervisor, program participants and community.
2. Conduct all communication with staff, supervisor, program participants and community in
an effective, respectful, timely and supportive manner.
3. Meet regularly with Family advocates to assure child and family information is current,
and service roles and responsibilities are understood.
4. Prepare and provide timely and accurate written reports, memoranda and other
statistical and narrative information as required or requested.
5. Coordinate team meetings, including cross-component teams, to assure
that EOCF’s operations and services are provided and conducted in accordance with
performance standards, agency mission, vision, and values, and requirements of grants,contracts, policies, procedures, and work plans.
6. Prepare and present information and reports to EOCF groups and teams, including the
Board of Directors and Policy Council, and to community organizations, agencies and
7. Maintain organized and accessible record keeping and filing system.
8. Serve as an advocate for EOCF and its families in the community.
9. Maintain confidentiality of program, staff and client information.
Associates degree in Early Childhood Development or Early Childhood Education.
One year consistent paid experience-teaching children, 3 to 5 years of age in an early childhood program, including supervision of adults and classroom planning and management.
Certifications and Other Requirements
1. Valid First Aid and CPR cards
2. Valid Food Handler's card.
3. Valid Oregon or Washington State driver's license, and proof of automobile insurance as mandated by Washington State law.
4. Ready access to a personal, legally licensed motor vehicle.
5. Submit to finger printing and criminal history background check.
6. Pass a pre-employment health screening indicating freedom from communicable diseases, and an annual health checkup indicating freedom from communicable diseases.
7. Commit to EOCF's drug-free work place policy.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.